Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mango, I'm your biggest fan!

Anyone seen SNL's "the best of Christopher Walken"?

Mango, I'm your biggest fan!


A couple of large mango trees needed to be removed from a residential property in Hawi where they were taking over the lot.  It was a big job, and it required the right tools.  We brought out the crane and set to work.  That was the easy part.  Milling them has proven to be no easy task.  We've enlisted the usual suspects,  bandsaw mill, lucas mill, etc... but had to bring out the slabber for a few of the largest logs.  Needless to say, my chainsaw is bigger than your dirt bike, or me for that matter.

The logs have produced some great pieces,  some curly, some blackheart, and some myths disproven.  There has been a lot of speculation as to the cause of blackheart mango.  I've heard that it is a genetic anomaly. Some say   that it is a species variation, or as Josh (our resident expert arborist) has claimed for quite some time, it is in fact the result of metal in the tree.  To which I've scoffed at, having no proof... and then today I was forced to eat my words.
Blackheart mango
16 penny hot dipped galvanized nail,  Score!
What's a nail do to sawmill? Well it depends on the sawmill.  Lucky for us,  our slabber seams to eat nails for breakfast, literally.

Fruits of our labor
Blackheart and curl

No comments:

Post a Comment